September 23, 2013

Pieces of Me: Booz and Bangs

Last week I began a new photography class called Radiate.  This is the second class I have taken with Beryl Young.  She is a phenomenal photography teacher!  If you haven't checked out her website, she can be found at http://www.berylaynyoung.com.  Beryl Young sends out regular emails with great tips, so make sure you sign up for her Momtographer Tips and Tricks Guide.

Our first week of Radiate begins with Pieces of Me. We have been given several questions to consider.  Everyone has a story to tell, and here is a little bit of my story.


Growing up, my mother was the most important person to me.  She is still one of THE most important people in my life and that will never change.  My mother and I moved away from my biological father when I was five years old.  I guess that means I am from a broken home.  Moving away was one of the best things we could have done.  My father was an alcoholic, among other things. Even after we left he did not try to know me or be involved in my life until sometime in my high school years.  And those few moments when he tried to be a father were short lived.

I don't drink. I don't have a problem if other's drink, but I just don't feel that it is my way of life.  I am glad for that. I do believe that alcoholism is hereditary, and I would hate to have to fight that ugly battle or damage in any way all that I have become.


I don't have many memories of my father, but I do remember cutting off ALL my bangs.  I was about 4 1/2 at the time, my mother was working, and my father was passed out on the couch.  My mom thought I looked just lovely until she realized what I had done.  The only picture we have with my very own haircut is my Kindergarten class photo.

There was a male figure in my life, but not a father figure. The only person I had to confide in, the only person I had to look out for me was my mother.  She is the ONE that has helped mold me into the person I am today.  I am thankful for having such a great mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment